Tuesday 15 December 2015

Physiol Eatery and Cafe, University of Queensland, St Lucia

Image result for physiol eatery and cafe

Last Wednesday my work break was approaching.  For the sake of this blog I decided to have something I have not yet reviewed in favour of my usual work break snacks.  I decided to go with Physiol's chicken chippees.  When I was younger, I loved chicken chippees.  However, these days, I only have them on occasion.  I think the main reason for this is that in the past chicken chippees were typically battered, whereas these days the only chicken chippees I know of are crumbed.  I find batter to be a better coating than crumb for most dishes that can either be crumbed or battered (eg. fish fillets and chicken nuggets).  So I ordered my chicken chippees with a serving of gravy.  This was something of a gamble, as gravy covered chicken chippees can either be a snack that you almost immediately regret, or one that satisfies your appetite even if it is not excellent fare.  I am happy to report that this time it was the latter.  The gravy was standard refectory gravy, which I rank as one rung below carvery gravy, and one above Gravox, and I have mentioned in this blog that I like humble Gravox.  Another gamble one takes when ordering gravy covered chicken chippees is that the server gives you too much gravy which accumulates at the bottom of the box, absolutely soaking the last chicken chippees in the stuff.  I am once again happy to report that the server gave me an appropriate amount of gravy, and the last chicken chippees in the box had only slightly more gravy than their predecessors.  The chicken itself was of poor quality, but thanks to the gravy, and a little bit of salt, was adequately tasty.  So while Physiol's chicken chippees are a far cry from gourmet, or even restaurant, pub, or cafe cuisine, they can be an edible, somewhat satisfying snack; probably on par with a dagwood dog.  Having said this, I am unlikely to make a habit out of eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment